Winchester has had a long tradition of training the rifle brigades, and for a small, provincial city, it is also blessed with some fine public statuary. This rifleman in the Cathedral’s Outer Close is by John Tweed (1869-1933). The inscription reads: “To the glory of God, and in memory of the officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and riflemen of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, who gave their lives for King and country in the Great War, 1914 – 1918, 1939 – 1945.”
The regiment’s motto is “Celer et Audax” – “Swift and Bold”.
The whole Cathedral Close is listed as a scheduled monument by English Heritage.