Father Of The Port (John Young), Old Port Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Canon 50d
Silence in front of the silo’s
FATHER OF THE PORT
Louis-Philippe Hébert, John Young, 1908, bronze on stone pedestal
In front of the Allan Building on Rue de la Commune at Saint-Pierre, a statue commemorates John Young (1811-78), first Chairman of the Port Commission and responsible for enlarging and developing the port, notably the land reclamation which means that today this spot is far from the water’s edge. Louis-Philippe Hébert sculpted the monument. The monument was relocated on this spot in 1997 from its original position on Pointe-à-Callière.