Do You Still Remember Her? by Peter Kurdulija

I do.

And everything she symbolizes – the familiar sights and sounds, the period of our lives embedded in long term memory with our mothers, sisters, aunties and neighbors in it, the uniform sound of a sewing machine intertwined with casual chitchat. I still remember those gentle hands, gliding skillfully over soft materials, more than capable of turning a piece of fabric into lovable garments.

Even my first girlfriend, the sweetest of souls, from a family of many, used to make clothes for herself, in patterns and colors she desired, as tight as I could wish, to perfectly fit the young man’s eye.

Nowadays, the skill has migrated to distant lands, in search of a new pair of hands, not necessarily gentler, certainly cheaper.

Time flies. We are left to do what people whose expiry date is fast approaching do – recycle the recollection of the good old days, the age when we were young and good looking. Now, we are only good looking. Such is life.


  • greenfrog153
    greenfrog153almost 6 years ago

    Congratulations on making the homepage!

  • PJ Ryan
    PJ Ryanalmost 6 years ago

    oh wow, love this .. so bizarre. And i have one of those very old singer sewing machines in the wooden cabinet with draws … so special :)

  • ZoeMcduncan
    ZoeMcduncanalmost 6 years ago

    Congratulations….is that an old Singer sewing machine????

  • I think so Zoe

    – Peter Kurdulija

  • JuliaWright
    JuliaWrightalmost 6 years ago


  • adgray
    adgrayalmost 6 years ago

    This is indeed a great piece and worthy of Home page – Congrats!!!
    It is also a great Ekphrasis and I invite you to please bring it to the EEG!
    ☼ BRAVO!! ☼ on your treatise explaining your art interpreting the art of dressmaking!
    Chookas! ♥

  • Lisa Defazio
    Lisa Defazioalmost 6 years ago

    Love it – I could sew before I went to school so I really appreciate this. It is a rare art these days. X

  • Lisa Defazio
    Lisa Defazioalmost 6 years ago

    I love how you expressed this also – I make 90% of what I sell myself and out source the other 10% locally and am 100% Australian made. I would like to eventually open a sewing school in the distant future – after I get the rest going.

  • CapturedByKylie
    CapturedByKyliealmost 6 years ago

    Congratulations on the home page feature. June 4th 2009.

  • limerick
    limerickalmost 6 years ago

    fantastic! congratulations.

  • Tama Blough
    Tama Bloughalmost 6 years ago

    Congrats on your homepage! As one who sews, this is great.

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.