Some facts about the Sydney Opera House designed by Danish architect Jorn Utzon who passed away 29/11/08 aged 90 years….
He never saw it completed…
Read here to learn why"
- Was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 20 October 1973
- Presented, as its first performance, The Australian Opera’s production of War and Peace by Prokofiev
- Cost $AU 102,000,000 to build
- Conducts 3000 events each year
- Provides guided tours to 200,000 people each year
- Has an annual audience of 2 million for its performances
- Includes 1000 rooms
- Is 185 metres long and 120 metres wide
- Has 2194 pre-cast concrete sections as its roof
- Has roof sections weighing up to 15 tons
- Has roof sections held together by 350 km of tensioned steel cable
- Has over 1 million tiles on the roof
- Uses 6225 square metres of glass and 645 kilometres of electric cable
Image © Penelope Thomas
All rights reserved world wide.
You cannot download, copy, alter or use any photos without permission of the photographer.
No image may be reproduced and/or used publicly in any way without the written permission of Penelope Thomas.
*Fuji s6500fd camera | Tripod + timer *