The main altar of St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna, Austria, built between 1641-1647 in the Romanesque style. The original church was built on sites of Roman ruins in 1147. The cathedral has eighteen altars found in chapels throughout the structure.
As the Germans were retreating during World War II, Gerhard Klinkicht, the commander of troops, ignored an order to level the church given from his superiors, thus preserving the structure.
Ironically, as the Russians entered the city, fires started in nearby shops spread to the roof of the Cathedral setting it afire, and ultimately, causing it to collapse.