Burry Holms is a small tidal island located at the northern end of the Gower Peninsula, Llangennith, south Wales. 9,000 years ago it was up to 12 miles (19 km) away from the sea and inhabited by nomadic Mesolithic hunters. Flint tools provided the first evidence of their existence in 1919, since when charcoal, charred hazelnut shells, and tools made out of wood and bone have also been found. A 1998 excavation by the National Museums and Galleries of Wales found that Burry Holms was used as a Mesolithic seasonal camp. Iron Age people subsequently built a 5 acre (20,000 m²) hill fort and ditch on the island, while in Medieval times it was home to a monastery.