St Madoc’s Church, Llanmadoc, Gower dates from the twelfth century, however it is regarded as having been founded much earlier in the sixth century by Saint Madoc. Following the Anglo-Norman annexation of the area the church was granted first to the Knights Templar in 1156 by Margaret, Countess of Warwick and, after the suppression of the order imposed by Pope Clement V in 1309, to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem. In turn the church passed to the crown with the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII. Little of the history of the church is documented until the late nineteenth century when renovations began. The present condition of the church is due to Reverend J D Davies, a local historian, who contributed £500 to the restoration of the building; completed in 1866, this included the partial rebuilding of the nave, tower and chancel. All the windows were restored, except the eastern window to the south of the chancel, which may be the original medieval east window relocated.