Cowbridge Town Hall dates back as far as the Elizabethan era and it served as a prison until 1830, when it was converted into a town hall to replace the former Guild Hall which was in the middle of the road near the Duke of Wellington public house, which was demolished at that date. The New Palladian Town Hall was built in 1830 by Isaiah Verity of Ash Hall who in gratitude was made a Freeman of Cowbridge. The money for the reconstruction was raised by public subscription.
Six of the original prison cells are still intact, and house the exhibits of Cowbridge Museum. The remainder of the building is used by the town council and for public events. The museum holds archaeological finds from Cowbridge and district, as well as displays on the later history of the town, including industrial and domestic artefacts, a photographic collection, and a small historical costume collection.