Views 1050 at January – 21 – 2013
The Cathedral di Mantova (cathedral) is the main church in Mantua, Lombardy (northern Italy).A first structure existed probably in the area in the Palaeo-Christian era, which was followed by an edifice destroyed by a fire in 894. The church was rebuilt in 1395-1401 with the addition of side chapels and magnificent Gothic façade, which can still be seen in a picture by Domenico Morone in the Palazzo Ducale of the city.After another fire in the 16th century, Giulio Romano remade the interior but saved the façade. The latter was however removed in 1756-1761 and replaced by the Baroque one in Carrara’s marble. Of the Renaissance edifice, characteristical are the cusps, decorated with rose windows on the right side, which end with the Gothic bell tower.
Nikon D100 Sigma 15/30