Bloggers’ Bliss — See our streetwear come to life

San Miniato al Monte - Florence

Photographic Prints

Size:
Finish:
$16.50
paolo1955

La Spezia, Italy

Sizing Information

Small 12.0" x 8.0"
Medium 18.0" x 11.9"
Large 24.0" x 16.0"
X large 30.0" x 19.9"

Features

  • Superior quality silver halide prints
  • Archival quality Kodak Endura paper
  • Lustre: Professional photo paper with a fine grain pebble texture
  • Metallic: Glossy finish and metallic appearance to create images with exceptional visual interest and depth

Reviews

Artist's Description

Featured in RB Explore Photography Page May – 15 – 2014

Featured Member in Pos tCards Destinations Group

Views 3627 at May – 12 – 2014

Camera NIKON D300

Lens NIKON 12.0-24.0 mm f/4.0

Exposure Time 1/250

ApertureValue f 8

Focal Length 12mm

HDR processed in Photomatix Pro 4.0.1 from a single RAW image, then processed using CS4 – no tripod used


San Miniato al Monte – Florence – Italy

Properties inscribed on the World Heritage List – Italy – Historic Centre of Florence 1982

Ministry of Heritage and Cultural Activities, Superintendence for the Architectural, the Landscape, the Historical Heritage. Artistic and Ethno-Anthropological of Italy

World Monuments Fund Watch


Challenge Winner in PostCards Destinations Group – MAY 2014 Featured Photos Challenge July – 01 – 2014


Featured in PostCards Destinations Group May – 12 – 2014


Featured in The World As We See It , or as we missed it Group September – 19 – 2010


Featured in Solo Exhibition Group Agoust – 25 – 2010


History
According to a legend, the church was built on the place where the first cristian martyr of Florence, Miniato (3rd Century), brought his head after have beeing beheaded by pagans.
An oratory is referred to in charts from the age of Charlemagne, but the construction of the church we see today began in 1013 under direction of Bishop Ildebrando and ended in 1063 thanks to the sustain of Empereor Henry II.A convent for Cluniacenses monks was built by the church; then, in the second halfth of 14th Century, the Olivetani monks came to San Miniato, where they remained until 1553; after then they moved to another convent but went back to San Miniato in 1924.In 1499 the bell-tower collapsed and was rebuilt by Baccio d’Agnolo; during the siege of 1530 Michelangelo turned the bell-tower in an artilley post, and still today the building shows the signs of the imperial gunshots shooted against it in the battles.In 1868 architect Nicola Matas built the Cemetery and the monumental stairs joining the Church to the ring road leading to Piazzale Michelangelo.

In the Spotlight
Façade: The façade is decorated with geomatrical figures in white and green marble; the upper part shows a mosaic (13th Century) representing Christ between the Madonna and San Miniato. In the fastigium is visible the gilded eagle, symbol of the Calimala guild, which since 1228 administrated the Church
Interior: The Church has three naves, a Crypt and a raised Chancel. Notable are the trestled ceiling and the inlaid marble floor of the central nave. In the central nave is the Tabernacle by Michelozzo (1428), with barrel vaulted roof enriched with glazed terracotta and a painting by Agnolo Gaddi (1395) with Sants Gualberto and Miniato, Annunciation and Scenes from the Passion.
In the Chancelwe find a beautiful balustrade in inlaid marble dividing the Choir and the terracotta Crucifix ascribed to Luca della Robbia. From here we can reach the Sacrysty (late 14th century.) with frescoes by Spinello Aretino with scenes from the Life of Saint Benedetto.
Under the Chancel is located theCrucifix Chapel, realized by Michelozzo (1447-48) and commissioned by Piero di Cosimo de ’Medici.
In the Apsis: the large mosaic whit a Blessing Christ dates to the 12th Century and has been restored several times in different periods. The Crypt (12th Century) is divided is seven small naves by 36 marble columns originating from Roman buildings.
In the right nave are various frescoes (12th to 14th century). By the left nave is located the Chapel of the Cardinal of Portugal (1473), ascribed to Antonio Manetti, a pupil of Brunelleschi. The chapel was built in memory of Jacopo of Lusitania, the nephew of King Alfonso of Portugal who died in Florence in 1459: the Chapel is enriched with glazed terrecottas by Luca della Robbia, frescoes by Alessio baldovinetti and a painting by Antonio and Piero del Pollaiolo. The tomb of the Cardinal is a work by Bernardo Rossellino.

Artwork Comments

  • Torfinn
  • paolo1955
  • Andrea Rapisarda
  • paolo1955
  • bicyclegirl
  • paolo1955
  • Lynne Morris
  • paolo1955
  • Indrani Ghose
  • paolo1955
  • Polly x
  • paolo1955
  • Audrey Clarke
  • paolo1955
  • Kristina K
  • paolo1955
  • F.A. Moore
  • paolo1955
  • trish725
  • paolo1955
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.