Featured in RB Explore Photography Page
Favorited by 160 people
5194 views at December – 25 – 2012
Nikon Coolpix 990
Shutter Speed 1/250
Focal Lenght 70mm
TRANSLATION by BEATRICE CLOAKE in OIL PAINTING
Featured as Painting of the Day — Friday, June 14, 2013 in Solo Exhibition Group
Top Ten Challenge Finish in Featured For A Challenge Group – 30+ FEATURES – December 2012 Challenge December – 24 – 2012
Challenge Winner in A Paradise Somewhere Group – A Castle In Paradise Challenge November – 24 – 2012
Featured Member in A Paradise Somewhere Group
Challenge Winners in 1 Favorites Group – World Tour #4: Italy Challenge October – 10 – 2012
Challenge Winner in Preserving History Group – Hanging Out By The Water Challenge May – 31 – 2012
Top Ten Challenge Finish in Featured For A Challenge Group – Qualified: 26 and more Features Challenge
Challenge Winner in Quality Art & Photography Group – Take me to Italy Challenge September – 15 – 2011
Challenge Winner in Nature And Man Group – May Avatar Challenge May – 08 – 2011
Red Heart in Most Favorites Group September – 10 – 2010
Renowned for the romantic legends associated with it, and as the pleasure retreat of the episcopal court, Castel Toblino is a rare example, in Trentino, of lake fortification.
It was probably a prehistoric fort and Roman site, on an island in the middle of the lake which, due to the lowering of the water level later became a peninsula. It is a very old site, once occupied by a small temple dedicated to the worship of the Fates, as recorded in the rare 3rd century epigraph (walled under the northern portico of the castle). Its original religious function was soon replaced by a military function, given its strategic position. In the 13th century the castle passed from the hands of the lords of Toblino into those of the lords of Campo, who owned the castle bearing the same name in the Giudicarie (Castel Campo). Later on, the castle fell into the hands of the church of Trento (1495) and the Cardinal Bernardo Clesio had the place restored and rebuilt (1536-1537) on Renaissance lines, to become a lord´s residence: it was decorated by some of the artists working at the Magno Palazzo of the Castello del Buonconsiglio in Trento. The prevailing 16th century elements are due to the subsequent transformations (courtyard portico and loggia, round arches) ordered by Gian Gaudenzio Madruzzo. All that remains of the Medieval castle layout are the wall to the west, a turret to the north-west of the present enclosure and the 20 meter high cylindrical tower, which may be considered a keep, strengthening the fortifications closing the summit of the fortified rock.
Lake of Toblino
This valley bottom lake has marsh vegetation (in particular ) and lacustrine (a few samples of “lamineto” of the ninfea gialla type); At certain points of the shore there are willow groves. The site includes the surrounding hills, where holm oaks woods grow(Celtidi australis-Quercetum ilicis).