|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Featured in RB Explore Photography Page
Views 3323 at June – 16 – 2013
Favorited by 26 people
Nikon D100 Sigma 15/30
HDR processed in Photomatix Pro 3.1.3 from a single RAW image, then processed using CS4 – no tripod used
Ministry of Heritage and Cultural Activities, Superintendence for the Architectural, the Landscape, the Historical Heritage. Artistic and Ethno-Anthropological of Italy
Featured in History Group May – 11 – 2009
Featured in Your Magic Place Group May – 08 – 2009
Featured in Live, Love, Dream Group May – 07 – 2009
Piazza San Carlo – Church of Santa Cristina – Church of San Carlo – Torino – Italy
Piazza San Carlo
The most beautiful square of Turin, already parade and market square, it keeps the 17th century look of harmonious uniformity given to it by the royal architect Carlo di Castellamonte (1642-1650).In the centre stands the equestrian statue of Emanuele Filiberto, portrayed by Carlo Marocchetti (1838) while he is sheathing the sword again after the battle of San Quintino in 1557, one of the most significant statues of the beginning of the 19th century (the so-called El Caval d’brons).The short side of the square, on the south-west side is fenced by the almost twin façades of the churches of Santa Cristina and of San Carlo.Several noble buildings overlooks piazza San Carlo; among them, at the number 183, the palace Solaro del Borgo, already Isnardi di Caraglio, from 1839 seat of the Accademia Filarmonica to which is united in 1947 the Circolo del Whist, founded in 1841 by the Conte di Cavour.
Partially reconstructed in the 18th century by Benedetto Alfieri and later by Giovanni Battista Borra, it keeps the magnificent 18th century decoration of the rooms; the Salone for the concerts is due to Giuseppe Maria Talucchi (1839-1840).Noticeable are the traditional cafés San Carlo, inaugurated in 1842, the café Torino and the confectioner’s Fratelli Stratta, with the original furniture of 1836.Recently finished, in 2004 the works for the re-qualification of the square began with its complete pedestrianization through the progressive elimination of the vehicular traffic and the no parking area for cars
Church of Santa Cristina
The church of Santa Cristina and the church of San Carlo are the twin churches placed on the corner of the south blocks of Piazza San Carlo, which frame, like two scenes, the beginning of the south stretch of via Roma.The first church was erected since 1639 because of the willing of Christine of France, first Madama Reale, on a drawing of Carlo di Castellamonte, while the façade, curvilinear in the central part, in marble and granite, is due to Filippo Juvarra (1715-1718); instead, the statues are due to Carlo Antonio Tantardini and Giuseppe Nicola Casana.In the interior, formed by a single nave, the décor was resumed in a later period; beside the high altar, there is a rectangular chapel with the painting by Antonio Triva (Riposo dalla Fuga in Egitto).
Church of San Carlo
The church of San Carlo was consecrated to San Carlo Borromeo by Carlo Emanuele I and was begun in 1619; in the façade, projected in a later period (1834), the tympanum is decorated by a bas-relief in marble portraying Emanuele Filiberto communicated by San Carlo (by Stefano Butti).The bell tower (1779) is a square plan and the bell tower cell has an octagonal dome.The inside, with a longitudinal plan, has got a single nave with two bays with cross vaults, with two chapels for each side.The first chapel on the left, of the Addolorata, is a work of art by Tommaso Carlone, like the chapel of San Giuseppe (about 1656), which stands in front of it.