Views 1274 at April – 10 – 2016
Shutter Speed 1/100 sec
Focal Lenght 24 mm
Lens Sigma 24 – 70
Camera Nikon D300
Church of St. Hubert – Venaria Reale – Torino
The Church of St. Hubert (Cappella di Sant’Uberto), dedicated to the Patron Saint of Hunters as a reminder of the Palace’s hunting vocation, is the jewel of the Reggia di Venaria Reale. It was Vittorio Amedeo II who, after acquiring royal status with the acquisition first of Sicily (1713) and then of Sardinia (1720), had a grand chapel built,connected to the Palace and opening onto the village square. A baroque masterpiece, the church was built between 1716 and 1729 on a plan by Filippo Juvarra, the great architect from Messina called by the King to shape Turin into a capital in keeping with European standards when the Savoy State rose to Kingdom status. The facing brickwork facade is set back from the axis of the Great Gallery,forming a small parvis.The church has a centralized, orthogonal plan, with two large altars at the sides of the transept and four chapels at the opposite ends of the diagonals that are round on the inside and polygonal on the outside.The reference here is to Michelangelo’s Saint Peter in Rome. Above the drum the plafond, with lacunars decorated with roses, creates the effect of a trompe-l’oeil cupola that was never built. Tall pilasters with Corinthian capitals support the richly decorated trabeation. Juvarra did not complete the passageways between the Church and the Reggia, that were achieved under Carlo Emanuele III by his successor,Benedetto Alfieri, who is also the author of the splendid monumental staircase leading to the tribunes.The artists and craftsmen appointed to decorate the walls, to make the marble altars, the statues and the paintings were carefully selected by Juvarra himself.The excellent restoration works recently undertaken have brought back to light the original colors and checkered flooring and have revamped the original light effects that make this Church a celebration of architecture, sculpture and painting.