Click on the image to view larger
The Panathenaic Stadium or Panathinaiko (Greek: Παναθηναϊκό στάδιο, also known as the Kallimarmaro (Καλλιμάρμαρο, meaning the “beautifully marbled”), is the most ancient stadium in use in the world, is an athletic stadium in Athens that hosted the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. Reconstructed from the remains of an ancient Greek stadium, the Panathenaic is the only major stadium in the world built entirely of white marble.
In ancient times, the stadium on this site was used to host the athletic portion of the Panathenaic Games, in honor of the Goddess Athena. During classical times, it had wooden seating. In 329 BC it was rebuilt in marble by the archon Lycurgus and in 140 AD was enlarged and renovated by Herodes Atticus, giving a seated capacity of 50,000. The remnants of the ancient structure were excavated and refurbished, with funds provided by Evangelis Zappas, for the revival of the Olympic Games in 1870. In 1895 the stadium was refurbished a second time for the 1896 Olympics, with completion funding provided by the Greek benefactor George Averoff, whose marble statue now stands at the entrance.
Panathenaic Stadium, Athens, Greece, Europe
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-85 mm at 24 mm, 1/160 sec at f/ 18, ISO 200
© Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos Photography. All Rights Reserved.
Featured in 3 groups:
“Greece and all things Hellenic”
Views 1767 / Favorited by 5 people / December 26, 2014