Click on the image to view larger
Annecy is the capital of the department of Haute-Savoie in the Rhône-Alpes region of eastern France. The town is located between Geneva and Chambéry, thus its history was strongly influenced by these two towns between the 10th and the 19th century. Starting as the capital of the county of Geneva, after the demise of the counts of Geneva, it became integrated into the House of Savoy’s possessions in 1401. In 1444, it was set up by the Princes of Savoy as the capital of a region covering the possessions of the Genevois, Faucigny and Beaufortain. When Savoy was sold to France in 1860, it became the capital of the new département of Haute-Savoie.
Palais de l’Isle is a castle in the centre of a canal in Annecy. It was built in 1132. Its triangular shape is reminiscent of the prow of a galley anchored in the river. It was the primary residence of the Lord of Annecy as early as the 12th century, and later became the Count of Geneva’s administrative headquarters, then alternately a courthouse, a mint, and finally a jail, from the Middle Ages until 1865 and once again during World War II. The Palais de l’Ile was classified as a Historical Monument in 1900, and today houses a local history museum.
Palais de l’Isle, Annecy, Haute Savoie, France, Europe
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-85 mm at 40 mm, 1/500 sec at f/ 9, ISO 400
© Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos Photography. All Rights Reserved.
Featured in 4 groups:
“Sunny Days and Blue Skies”
Views 630 / Favorited by 4 people / July 3, 2013