Click on the image to view larger
The Academy of Athens (Greek: Ακαδημία Αθηνών) is Greece’s national academy, and the highest research establishment in the country. It was established in 1926, and operates under the supervision of the Ministry of Education. The Academy’s main building is one of the major landmarks of Athens.
The main building of the Academy is a neoclassical designed one between Panepistimiou Street and Akadimias Street in the centre of Athens. The building was designed as part of an architectural “trilogy” in 1859 by the Danish architect Theophil Hansen, along with the University and the National Library. Funds had been provided by the magnate Simon Sinas specifically for the purpose, and the foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1859.
On 20 March 1887, the building of the “Sinaean Academy”, as it was called, was delivered by Ziller to the Greek Prime Minister, Charilaos Trikoupis. In the absence of a national Academy, the building was used for housing the Numismatic Museum in 1890, and in 1914 the Byzantine Museum and the State Archives. Finally, on 24 March 1926, the building was handed over to the newly-established Academy of Athens.
Academy of Athens, Greece, Europe
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-85 mm at 24 mm, 1/1000 sec at f/ 11, ISO 400
© Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos Photography. All Rights Reserved.
Featured in 4 groups:
“Greece and all things Hellenic”
“Around The World”
Views 510 by March 24, 2014