Situated between Newtownards and Millisle on the Ards Penninsula, Co. Down.
Windmills were once very common in the grain-growing area of east Down, but with the exception of Ballycopeland all are now in ruins. Built in the late 18th or early 19th century it was worked by the McGilton family until the First World War, and between 1950 and 1978 it was gradually restored to full working order after falling into disrepair. Looked after by the Dept.of Environment for Northern Ireland. Up untill then it also served as the local farriers shop.