The C-41 38-502 was a one-off VIP version of the C-39 transport built in 1938 for the US Army Air Corps. Like the C-39 it featured the rear fuselage, tail and wing centre section from the new DC-3, the rest of the components being from the earlier DC-2. In 1941 it was fitted with DC-3 outer wings and engines making it almost completely DC-3 derived – the first military DC-3. Many variants followed, C-47, C-48, C-49, C-50, C-51, C-52, C-53, C68, C-84, C-117, R4D and Dakota. After these modifications 38-502 was handed over to General “Hap” Arnold who used it as his personal airborne command post for the rest of WW2. It is pictured displaying at the Mildenhall Air Fete in 1994 while visiting Europe to mark the 50th Anniversary of the D-Day landings restored to the markings used by General Arnold. At this time the aircraft was being operated by Spunkmeyer Air, the personal airline of cookie millionaire Otis Spunkmeyer III.
641 views as at 18/6/2015.