The 5.5 was one of the best guns ever produced by the British Army. It began to reach troops in 1941 and by the end of 1942 was serving on both fronts of the desert war; by the end of the Second World War it had served in every major battle area with both Commonwealth and British forces. Required a crew of nine and a large tractor for movement, ammunition and crew. Max range (with 82lb. HE shell) was 18,200 yards.