The Bark Hut on the early established pastoral run Angahook at Airey’s Inlet probably dates from before 1862. It was built for Thomas Butson Pearce (a pastoralist who acquired the Angahook pre-emptive purchase in 1853), using undressed round timber poles and frame to form a simple gable structure clad with bark sheets and having a brick chimney and earthen floor.
In 1979: The Bark Hut at Angahook homestead has been carefully restored and the structure rehabilitated without undue replacement. The original bark roof has been retained under a new bark cladding.
1983: Hut burnt to ground in bushfires and replaced by reconstruction.
Airey’s Inlet, Victoria, Australia.
Canon SX1 IS.