On the ridge that connects Corn Du with Y Gyrn and Pen Milan there is an Obelisk that commemorates the death of Tommy Jones, a five-year-old boy who died on the mountain in august 1900. The son of a Rhondda miner, Tommy lost his way near Cwm Llwch Farmhouse while visiting his grandparents, starting a twenty-nine day search which aroused nationwide concern. His body was found by a Mr and Mrs Hamer of Cast Madog near Brecon at the spot marked by the obelisk. Tommy had died from exhaustion and exposure, but how a small boy managed to climb so high remains a mystery. The obelisk, a useful landmark in misty conditions, was paid for by the proceeds of a memorial fund started when the jurors at the boy’s inquest waived their fees.
The inscription reads:
This obelisk marks the spot where the body of Tommy Jones aged 5 was found. He lost his way between Cwmllwch Farm and the Login on the night of August 4th 1900. After an anxious search of 29 days his remains were found on Sep 2nd.
To read a full account please visit the Brecon Beacons National Park web site.
Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 lens @ 18mm
1/50 sec at f/18
Processed and converted into B&W in Photoshop CS5