I am running a competition is open to all amateur photographers worldwide who are 18 years and over. The theme is “Garden Guests” of the fauna kind who visit your garden or local park (not pets) such as wild animals, insects, reptiles, birds, snails, spiders etc.
Any style of photography is acceptable such as macro, representational, abstract, black and white, sepia but the photographs must only have minimal post processing production such as sharpening and colour correction adjustments. (This makes it fair as not everyone is a Photoshop user)
- up to photographs may be submitted per contestant via e-mail to email@example.com
- only photograph per contestant will then be shortlisted for voting
- photographs submitted should be 800 pixels on the longest side (but please make sure your originals are as large as possible, preferably around 3000 pixels in sRGB mode for accurate colour representation re. printing)
- photographs must be named with the subject identified correctly plus scientific name if you can
- the location of your garden eg, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia plus a short description/story about the photo should be included with your entry
- photographs must have been taken by yourself where you have sole rights to the photographs
- photographs must be 300 dpi resolution
- equipment used should be included (type of camera, additional lens, settings such as exposure, ISO and shutter speed)
- free to enter
Criteria for judging will be focus and sharpness, composition, depth of field, exposure and creativity in your portrayal of the “garden guest” i.e. (not just a snap shot)
Deadline for submissions: Friday 25 June 2010
- a 16 × 20 inch Gallery Wrapped Canvas in either matte or glossy finish of the winning print, sent straight to your door. Ready to be hung onto your wall!
- Vertus Fluid Mask 3 – the professionals choice for use on mac or pc. Fluid Mask 2 established itself as the market leader in still image cutting out – Fluid Mask 3 takes masking to the next level. Quick to pick up and intuitive to use, Fluid Mask 3 gets professional results fast.
(image above is a example only)
- Play with Pictures – a highly-entertaining picture creator that is so fun and easy to use that anyone can cut out people and objects from their pictures and turn them into unique and imaginative creations, which are perfect for livening up a social network profile, making greeting cards and invitations, or letting school projects come alive. The software automates the process of cutting out an unlimited number of people and props from images, seamlessly layering them onto a background of choice, and then applying additional effects, all with simple and user-friendly controls. Using Play With Pictures, imaginations comes alive.
- Four issues of Nature’s Paint Box eZines of your choice.
- A copy of “Professional Secrets of Nature Photography” book by Judy Holmes – improve your nature photography with this must-have book. Covers every aspect of making top-quality images, for professional results every time.
- Three issues of Nature’s Paint Box eZines of your choice.
REVIEWS: “This book provides practical, immediately useful information on all aspects of nature photography.”
“I believe that this book would be most suitable as a present for a spouse or a friend who finds John Shaw’s books ‘too complicated.’ As such, it should be well appreciated and put to immediate use.”
“Beautifully rendered photographs with detailed captions help you learn the fundamentals of nature photography.”
SPECS: 8.5 X 11, paperback, 100 full color photos, 120 pgs, index
Judy Holmes is a professional nature photographer and photography instructor whose images have appeared in numerous books and magazines including Popular Photography and Outdoor Photographer. She has taught outdoor photography for Hasselblad University on location in over fifty cities for more than six years, and has served as an artist in residence at the Disney Institute.
People’s Choice Prize
- a 5 × 7 inch matted print of the awarded photograph – professionally printed onto Gallerie Smooth Pearl Paper (without watermark). It is mounted onto a bevelled mat with foam backing then placed in a clear plastic sleeve. Delivered straight to your door and ready to be popped into your favourite frame!
- Two issues of Nature’s Paint Box eZines of your choice.
(image above shows examples of prints with either black or white mat board)
The winner of the People’s Choice Award will be chosen by the most votes awarded by the closing date.
Please send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the full article on my website here
View the Gallery of shortlisted photographs here