“A land without ruins is a land without memories — a land without memories is a land without history.”
~Abram Joseph Ryan
Perrine’s Covered Bridge, Built in 1835, the bridge was built by Benjamin Wood (b. 1780 d. 1838), the one-lane wooden covered bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1930.
The Bridge derives its name from James W. Perrine (b. 1780 d. 1849), a descendant of Daniel Perrin “The Huguenot”, who was a tavern keeper that opened an inn on the east side of that future bridge in 1820. Perrine’s son was hired each winter as the “snower”. He would spread snow the length of the structure so horse-drawn sleighs could cross.
It was declared as a New York Historical site in 1966 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places as of April 13, 1973.
Photographed in Rifton, New York, USA