First view of the inside of an old stone schoolhouse in Margretsville, New York, USA, through a broken window.
This school is actually the third on this land.
The first two schools here stood side by side for different grades, they were log buildings. Each burned down mysteriously within weeks of each other.
The land owner across the road sat eating dinner with her husband as the last structure fire smoldered, and was struck with the idea that since they had so many stones on their property, they should build a new schoolhouse made of stone!
Hence the first stone schoolhouse was built in 1820, made of stone and mortar.
However, the mortar that far back did not hold, winter winds blew through the break points of the building, scattering the children’s papers.
The original stone schoolhouse was razed and a new one built in 1860, using many of the same stones, yet with new mortar that would hold to this present day. Images to the right are also of this old landmark.