Prince’s Lodge was named for the estate His Royal Highness Prince Edward, Duke of Kent resided in while in Halifax in the 1700s .In 1794, Prince Edward arrived to serve in Halifax.with his French mistress Julie St. Laurent. The Duke was often entertained at the “Friar’s Cell” and liked it so much that Wentworth felt obliged to offer it to him during his stay in Halifax. Prince Edward accepted, and renovated the residence and developed the gardens around the estate by landscaper from England. The result was what is today Hemlock Ravine Park , 185 acres (0.75 km2) with a heart shaped pond known as Julie’s Pond, and was constructed by the Duke in honour of his mistress.
The Wentworths resumed living in the lodge When Prince Edward returned to England. Now called the Prince’s Lodge, it was here that Sir John established the Rockingham Club. But after Sir John died, the estate was neglected. By 1870, in ruins, it was sold at auction and divided into building lots. All that remains of the original estate is the Rotunda,which the Nova Scotia Government acquired in 1959. It is a small, round music room that stands on a knoll overlooking the Bedford Basin.