Hi everyone. Not often I go into a shy and word-uncertain place, but gosh – having read so many exciting stories and insights into bubblers via the CORE tag, I am feeling quite unusual. So for starters I will go with gratitude – thanks Ushna for your encouragement and support, and always wanting to know more about people. It is awesome and testament to why CORE has such a strong and inspiring member base I think!!!
There are so many things which move me:
Most people who know me, can guess very quickly what inspires me. I’d say there are three top things that have shaped my life and I see no reason this will change
1) the love of friends and family – I feel blessed to have gained so much from people who care about me, and for whom I would also do anything in return;
2) language – my devotion to books, knowledge, information, words – an unrivalled passion;
3) social justice – in a broader sense, when you are one of the lucky ones to have had love in your life, random acts of kindness become a motto. Within as much of me as is conscious, I try not to judge others. We can all make choices that take our lives to dark and despairing places, but unless you can show empathy and walk in the shoes of another, then I don’t think condescension and fearmongering have any place in the world. (Of course, that said, sometimes to take a stand – we are implicitly judging our opponent…so I guess I need to find some better words to explain this worldview…sorry!)
I have no real sense of how I can get into all of the above more eloquently, so let me share these thoughts on inspiration…
I can find it anywhere: art, books, conversation, creativity, drama, dreams, exploring, feelings, fun, games, laughter, learning, life, music, poetry, science, talking, work – anything! My personal ideology is that it’s good to be intellectually stimulated, learn, seek challenges and find fun wherever and whenever it is available. I think about a lot of things. And have been accused of over-thinking, but really, if we’re not here for our minds and what we can do with them, well, what is there?
I enjoy being challenged (and challenging others) via the repartee of colleagues, friends or strangers. Listening and talking are both an art form, and understanding the thoughts of others is never boring. Which of course is inspiration epitomised. What it means for me is a desire to connect, discover, explore, feel, learn and think. Inspiration is stimulation and thought-provocation and wonderment. In other words, all the best things the mind has to offer!
I love the fact that inspiration can be found anywhere and at unexpected times. Like people, where you never know who you will meet or when, it is one of the things that helps make life interesting. In meeting people, or with a genuine and honest meeting of minds, I believe inspiration plays its part. That’s what makes us better people, after all, and that’s my reason for endorsing karma and the power of positive action.
To conclude, I’ll go with two quotes and what they mean to me
Helen Keller The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, heard or touched – they must be felt with the heart.
Henry Miller Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
Call it a misinterpretation if you will, but both of those quotes give me the following truths – and I shiver with their possibilities
- Feelings are important;
- Sensation is not everything;
- Life doesn’t care who we are or what we do;
- An open mind (empathetic and honest) can find beauty and strength in the strangest of places;
- A closed mind (ignorant and hateful) is always defeated.
Thanks for visiting
Love and laughter everybody xoxo