" Truro was the first cathedral to be built on a new site in England since Salisbury Cathedral in 1220.
A stained glass window depicting the founding of the cathedral.Construction began in 1880 on the site of the sixteenth century parish church of St Mary the Virgin to a design by the leading Gothic Revival architect John Loughborough Pearson. St Mary’s, a building in the Perpendicular style with a spire 128 feet tall3 was demolished in October 1880, leaving only the early sixteenth-century south aisle, which was retained to serve as the parish church. From 1880 until 1887 a temporary wooden cathedral was built on an adjacent site. This accommodated fewer than 400 people and was extremely hot in summer and cold in winter. It was in this building that the Bishop introduced the new evening service of Nine Lessons and Carols on Christmas Eve, 1880"