St Mary’s 12th century parish church contains a memorial to Stephen Langton (c1150–1228), the Archbishop of Canterbury who attended the signing of Magna Carta. In the Middle Ages Slindon House (now Slindon College) was the site of one of the Archbishop’s residences. In 1330 Thomas de Natindon, who was a legal representative of the Pope, was sent to Slindon to serve a writ on the archbishop2. His party were not well received by the archbishop’s servants who stripped and bound them, then threw cold water over them, apparently with the archbishop’s consent. Natindon escaped and was pursued over the hills to Petworth where he was caught and held in prison for three days.
" This is now owned by the National Trust"