St. James’ Church, Avebury, Wiltshire, UK
The church of Avebury Saint James is situated on a plot of land just outside the main Avebury stone complex, near to the Western entrance/exit. The church has undergone several periods of construction, the earliest evidence for which dates to the Anglo-Saxon/pre-Norman period and one estimate dates it to approx. 1000 A.D. The church was altered by the Normans who made several prominent changes to the design of the building, most notably the south doorway with its beautifully carved arch. It is also the Normans who mention the first recorded priest to the church, Rainbold. Alterations continued through the 12th-19th centuries, with many rich an diverse additions being added by successive generations.