Click on image above to enlarge…
Click on Description below to read about image…
Featured in Live and Let Live
Featured in That One Great Shot
Featured in Preserving History
Featured in Covered Bridges
Featured in Barns & Old Grist Mills and Covered Bridges
Featured in The World As We See It
Top 10 winner in Reflections In The Water
Top 10 Winner in Your Country’s Best
1st place winner at the Horizon Photography Contest in Chesapeake City Maryland
Featured in Hometown Photography
Featured in Up and Over
Featured in Americas, Rural, Urban, Wild & Free
Featured in Elite Images
Featured in Along The Rural Road
Featured in Barns, Gristmills & Covered Bridges
Taken with a Nikon D90 and a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens.
HDR, 3 exposures, hand held, processed in Photomatix Pro.
Late summer reflection off Big Elk Creek of Foxcatcher Covered Bridge in Fair Hill Maryland.
Foxcatcher Farms is one of only two remaining authentic covered bridges in Cecil County, Maryland. Both Foxcatcher Farms and Gilpin’s Falls bridges were built in 1860, although by different builders. Ferdinand Wood was contracted to construct Foxcatcher Farms over Lower Hills Fording or Big Elk Creek at a cost of $1,165. In 1927 William duPont, Jr. bought a vast amount of land in the northeast corner of Maryland including the area where the bridge existed. His property became known as The duPont Estates and during the years he owned the property Foxcatcher Farms Covered Bridge became inaccessible to most covered bridge enthusiasts. DuPont used the farmland property to enjoy horseback riding and fox chasing, hence the bridge name of “Foxcatcher Farms”. The State of Maryland bought the DuPont Estates property in 1975 and later established it as the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area (Maryland State Park). Today the area provides recreation for equestrians, fishermen, hunters and bird watchers. It also includes fairgrounds and a race track and was a training center for 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro.
Foxcatcher Farms Covered Bridge was rehabilitated in 1992 by the Department of Natural Resources. Part of the rehabilitation included steel frame supports for the flooring. In 1994 it received the State’s Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Award. Hurricane Floyd damaged its lower sideboards in 1999, but the bridge was quickly repaired. Foxcatcher Farms Covered Bridge is open only for horseback riding, bicyclists and hikers. It is well-maintained by the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area.