Featured in Americas ~ Rural, Urban, Wild, & Free
Featured in Fall in the North-East USA
Featured in Historic Places
Featured in A Place To Call Home
Featured in Barns & Old Grist Mills and Covered Bridges from around the World
Featured in Old Things
Featured in The ART for Cancer Group
1st PLACE WINNER of the Covered Bridges Challenge in Welcome Pennsylvania Group
Featured in Welcome Pennsylvania
Featured in The World As We See It
Featured in Historic Places 2nd time
Featured in That One Great Shot
Top 10 Winner in Historic Places Challenge
Top 10 Winner in Witch Way Group Challenge
Featured in Weekend Photographer
769 Views as of 9/1/2010
The bridge was built in 1878 by John Smith and Samuel Stauffer.
Jackson’s Sawmill Covered Bridge or Eichelberger’s Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the West Octoraro #1 Bridge. The bridge is purportedly the only covered bridge in the county that is not built perpendicular to the stream it crosses due to the placement of the sawmill on one side of the bridge and the rock formations faced by the builders on the other side.
In 1986 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003520.
The bridge can be found in Bart Township, 3.25 miles to the east of Quarryville and 1.5 miles south of Pennsylvania Route 372 on Mt Pleasant Road. Due to its remote location in an isolated part of the county, it is seen less than many of the county’s other covered bridges that are closer to the major populations centers such as Lancaster. If there is a Covered Bridge out there for you to see…it’s this one!
Taken with a Nikon D90 and a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens
No software added!
100% donated to “The ART for Cancer Group”