The W.P. Snyder Jr. is considered the last intact steam-powered stern-wheeled towboat in the United States. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, it is docked outside the Ohio River Museum on the Muskingum River in Marietta, Ohio, and open for public guided tours (currently, it is being repaired). The towboat was built originally for Carnegie Steel Co. in Pittsburgh and launched in 1918, and in 1945 it was purchased by Crucible Steel Co. of America and renamed in honor of the company’s chief executive officer. The Snyder, which towed barges filled with materials important to economic development like coal, iron ore and steel up and down the Monongahela and Ohio rivers, was retired in 1954. Marietta, for the record, is situated at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum rivers.