Tampa’s first electric streetcars were introduced in 1892. The streetcar reached its peak of popularity in the 1920s. In 1926, almost 24 million passengers were carried. The first line shut down in August 4, 1946. The first streetcar system used the Birney Safety Car and, probably, other streetcar types.
Streetcars returned to Tampa in 2002, when the 2.4 mile (3.9 km) long heritage line was opened. In its first year of operation, the streetcar carried 420,000, 20% more than projected. In 2005, 434,498 passenger used streetcar.
A new 1/3 mile (1/2 km) extension is being planned. It will connect Franklin Street and the Fort Brooke parking garage.
This image is a single exposure and has been processed in CS3 using the Photomatix plugin.