The priory church was founded by Withenoc (or Gwethenoc), it was granted to the Abbey of St Florent at Saumur, and was consecrated in the presence of William Fitzbaderon in 1101. It was extended and became the parish church later in the twelfth century. Few traces of the early building remain, other than a short section of norman wall. The tower, of old red sandstone with three stages, dates from the fourteenth century. The building deteriorated after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. By 1730, the church was described as ruinous and decayed. Significant rebuilding was undertaken in 1736-7 by Francis Smith of Warwick, who constructed an entirely new nave, but this work has also mostly gone. A new spire rising to a height of 60 metres (200 ft) was provided in 1743, to the design of Nathaniel Wilkinson of Worcester. In the late nineteenth century, the church was reconstructed by George Edmund Street,two walls of the georgian nave and the steeple were retained. The church is by far the tallest building in Monmouth, with the gilded cockerel weather vane some 205 feet above the ground. The spire also has a gilded clock. The bell, which originally hung on the outside of the tower, and which was originally cast on 1604, is now on display in the entrance porch to the church.