Antibes Fort Carré watch tower over the sea (France)
Antibes is a Greek fortified town named Antipolis in the 5th century BC. With the arrival of the Romans the town became an important commercial centre and a stopping point for ships in the Mediterranean basin. For more than four and a half centuries, Fort Carré has towered above Port Vauban and is one of the finest examples of military architecture in Europe. It was built on an ancient Roman site, twenty-six meters above sea-level, to protect the town and to defend the frontier of the Var at a time when the Earldom of Nice belonged to the kingdom of Piémont Sardaigne. In 1938, Fort Carré was classified an historical monument and is now owned by the town council of Antibes Juan-les-Pins.