After my encounter with the Savage Canadian Snow Duck and the Woodland Spy, I decided to go back to the Eco Gardens in the evening to see if I had been dreaming or if, in fact, there are strange goings on in the area. I won’t be doing that again. Not in the dark anyway. I heard strange rustlings and squeaky whispers and mutterings and, upon investigating, came across this evil little beast, surrounded by wicked, spine-laden tentacles. I took one very quick shot before I was ensnared, then beat a very hasty retreat back to the car and thence homeward. No pleasant dreams that night.
Best “viewed larger”
154 views, 18 favourites and 2 features as of 2/28/11
How it was done.
I started off with this image of a Bald Eagle and used the “elliptical marquee” tool at 35 px feathering on the eye, went to “edit/copy”. Then I created a blank file, used the marquee tool again, made a circle and went to “edit/paste into selection”.
Then I took the eagle shot and in “image/rotate”, flipped it horizontally and repeated the steps above. Using the “magic wand” tool at 35 tolerance, I selected the pupils of both eyes. I then used the “paint bucket” tool to add the red to the pupils, after clicking on “select background colour” and choosing the shade I wanted. A little adjustment in “enhance/colour/hue and saturation” was done to punch up the colours a bit.
The rose hip was edited by adjusting “enhance/lighting/shadows, highlights” by moving “lighten highlights” to zero, “darken highlights” to about 25 and “midtone contrasts” to about 40. Then I duplicated it as a new layer. I used the elliptical marquee tool to choose the left eye, then edit/copy. I used it again on the rosehip where I wanted the left eye to appear. Then “edit/paste into selection”. This was repeated with the right eye.
I then went to “Filters/render/lighting” and used the “omni” spotlight at a very narrow width, with the centre right in the middle of the eyes. I hid this layer and did the same spotlight effect on the original. Then I used the eraser tool to clean up around the eyes on the top layer after making it visible again. The image was then “flattened”, cropped by 1.5 inches on the top and two sides, and, finally, I went to “Enhance/adjust sharpness” and used an amount of 99% and a radius of 9.1 pixels.
Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary, Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada, circa 2003
Minolta 600 si, Sigma 28 to 300 at 300 mm
Kodak Ektachrome 100 slide film, scanned using an Epson Perfection 3200 scanner
Rotary Eco Gardens, Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
January 29, 2011
Sony Alpha 700, Sigma 17 to 70, Tamron Doubler, 140 mm equivalent
iso 100, multi-pattern metering, F9.0, 1/160 second