The Rideau Canal, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. 1993.
236 viewings as of 2/11/11.
Taken in February during the Ottawa Winter Festival “Winterlude”. Many activities to see – snow and ice sculptures, concerts, skating on the canal. Dress warmly! It was so cold that day, one roll of film snapped when I rewound it.
The Houses of Parliament are to the left and the Chateau Laurier Hotel is to the right.
A little history
The Rideau Canal
The Rideau Canal Waterway is a boater’s paradise, attracting pleasure boats from across North America to travel its 202 kilometre (125 mile) length. The Rideau Canal; a National Historic Site of Canada, a Canadian Heritage River and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, consists of a series of beautiful lakes and rivers connected by canals. It stretches from Kingston, at the foot of Lake Ontario, to Ottawa, Canada’s capital. Maintained by Canada’s Parks service it is arguably the most scenic waterway in North America.
The Rideau Canal Waterway, which links the lakes and rivers between Ottawa and Kingston, is the oldest continuously operated canal in North America. The locks are operated today much as they were when first opened in 1832.
The Houses of Parliament
In 1841, Lower Canada (now Quebec) and Upper Canada (now Ontario) joined to form the Province of Canada. Its seat of government alternated for many years. In 1857, Queen Victoria was asked to select a permanent capital.
Surprisingly, the Queen chose the rough-and-ready lumber town of Ottawa over the established cities of Toronto, Kingston, Montréal and Québec City. Not only was Ottawa a political compromise but it also lay a more secure distance from the American border.
The Centre, East and West blocks of the Parliament Buildings were built between 1859 and 1866 (excluding the Tower and Library). One year after their completion, Confederation was brought in, and the buildings were immediately chosen as the seat of government for the new Dominion of Canada.
Canada had not celebrated its first half-century when tragedy struck. On February 3, 1916, near 9 p.m., a small fire started in the Commons Reading Room in the Centre Block. It soon grew to a raging blaze that claimed seven lives and reduced all but the northwest wing and the Library to a charred shell. Had an employee not closed the Library’s iron doors in time, thousands of irreplaceable books would also have been lost.
After the fire, Parliament moved to the nearby Victoria Memorial Museum (now the Canadian Museum of Nature). But Canada believed strongly that its Parliament needed a permanent home. It began rebuilding the Centre Block while still fighting in the First World War. The new structure, designed in the Modern Gothic Revival style by John Pearson and Jean Omer Marchand, was completed by 1922. The Peace Tower was finished later in 1927.
The Chateau Laurier
The Chateau was commissioned by Charles Melville Hays who was the General Manager of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway of Canada. The Chateau Laurier was the first hotel built in the chain of Canadian Pacific hotels. The Château Laurier was opened on June 12, 1912, by its namesake Sir Wilfrid Laurier. It is fashioned in French Renaissance style using granite blocks for the base, limestone for the walls and copper for the peaked roof. Throughout the years, secret political meetings have been held behind closed doors away from the Parliament Buildings.
Canon AV1, Canon 70 to 200
Kodak Royal Gold 400 Film