Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
The Department of Lands building on Bridge St in Sydney is classified as Victorian Free Classical & occupies a whole block & is bordered by Bridge, Loftus, Bent and Gresham Streets.
The Department of Lands building is late nineteenth century building was designed by James Barnet. It is a large three storey public building which was built in different stages. This is the largest building designed by Barnet in Colonial Sydney. The builder was John Young, who designed St Mary’s Cathedral.
Barnet, who favoured Classical styles in his public building projects, designed the Lands Department in Renaissance Revival Style. It was built from 1877-90. Dressed Pyrmont sandstone is the dominant material of the facades, with a dome and tower tops made from copper. The four facades of the building are all richly decorated with classical motifs and statuettes and are dissimilar to each other. Barnet’s mix of the orders and their integration into the building is significant. For example, lowest level of the building is adorned with Doric and Ionic pilasters, whereas Corinthian and Ionic ones are used above. The clock tower has an “onion-dome” which, according to Haskell, was influenced by Sir Henry Parkes’s water carafe.
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Camera: Canon 400D.
HDR by Photomatix.