“We are not amused at having to sit on a concrete slab out in the weather .. but those skateboarders down there are rad!”
This is the statue of Queen Victoria on the south side of the magnificent Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, Australia.
This statue stood outside the legislative assembly of the Republic of Ireland – Dáil Éireann in Leinster House, Dublin, until 1947 and was given to the people of Sydney by the Government of the Republic of Ireland to prevent its destruction by the IRA. It was placed on its present site in 1987.
The Queen Victoria Building, or QVB, is a late nineteenth century building by the architect George McRae in the central business district of Sydney, Australia. The Romanesque Revival building is 190 metres long by 30 wide, and fills a city block, bounded by George, Market, York and Druitt Streets. Designed as a shopping centre, it was later used for a variety of other purposes until its restoration and return to its original use in the late twentieth century.
The building was completed in 1898 and named the Queen Victoria Building after the monarch.
The completed building included coffee shops, showrooms and a concert hall. It provided a business environment for tradesmen such as tailors, mercers, hairdressers, and florists. The concert hall was later changed to a municipal library and the building was partitioned into small offices for Sydney City Council. The building steadily deteriorated and in 1959 was threatened with demolition. It was restored between 1984 and 1986 by Ipoh Ltd at a cost of $86 million, under the terms of a 99-year lease from the City Council and now contains mostly upmarket boutiques and “brand-name” shops.
Photographed with a Canon 400D.
No. 1 Artists of Redbubble, May 2011.
Alphabet Soup, Oct 2011.