Photographed with a Canon 400D at Barrenjoey, Sydney, Australia.
The official lighthouse began operating in 1868 and consisted of two wooden structures 700 metres apart, the Stewart Towers, both of which were erected as temporary navigation aids.
In 1873 it was recommended by Francis Hixson (president if the Marine Board of NSW) that a single permanent lighthouse replace the Stewart Towers. Plans were then drawn up and the present-day lighthouse constructed during 1880-81.
Three other men had a significant involvement with the lighthouse:
James Barnet, the Colonial Architect, Issac Banks, a mason and George Whiting providing the funding.
The sandstone used to construct the lighthouse as quarried from the top of the headland with other materials being horse-hauled up a trolley track from a jetty below.
The original light was a fixed red (non-flashing) and fueled by kerosene. In 1932 it was changed to a automated white group flash (4 every 20 seconds) powered by acetylene gas.
With automation the lightkeepers were no longer needed and withdrawn. The Cottages were once again reoccupied during the 1950’s and since then have been greatly improved through restoration work by the tenants.
In 1972 the light became electrified, with a power of 75,000 candelas, from the main power with a backup emergency battery-start generator.
The Barrenjoey Lighthouse is at an elevation of 113 metres above sea-level provides a range of 19 nautical miles. The stone tower of the lighthouse is 11.5 metres high with the lantern room and dome adding another 8 metres to its height.
Guided Walks are conducted every Sunday, every half hour from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM (weather permitting) except for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day .
100 views as of Apr 20, 2013.
202 views as of May 29, 2013.