Old Parliament House, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Old Parliament House, formerly known as the Provisional Parliament House, was the seat of the Parliament of Australia from 1927 to 1988. The building was opened in 9 May 1927 as a temporary base for the Commonwealth Parliament following its relocation from Melbourne to the new capital, Canberra, until a grander building could be constructed.
Designed by John Smith Murdoch and a team of assistants, the design brief extended from the building to include its gardens, décor and furnishings. The building is in the Stripped Classical Style, common in Australian government buildings constructed in Canberra during the 1920s and 1930s.
The building was intended to be neither temporary nor permanent – only to be a ‘provisional’ building that would serve as a parliament for fifty years. In 1988, the Commonwealth Parliament transferred to the new Parliament House on Capital Hill. It also serves as a venue for temporary exhibitions, lectures and concerts.
Top ten Placing in Australian Travel Photographyand Writing – Aussie Architecture Challenge