The Martin Bridge was built for William Martin in 1890 by Herman Townsend and his sons. The bridge utilizes a Queenpost truss and was built solely to provide access to Martin’s agricultural lands on the far side of the Winooski River
The Martin Bridge is the only covered bridge remaining in Marshfield and is the only original covered “farm” bridge left in Vermont. A “farm” bridge was a bridge built solely for agricultural use. The Martin Bridge and surrounding land was acquired by the Town of Marshfield in November, 2003.
The World Guide to Covered Bridges, published by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, lists the Martin Bridge as number 45-12-06, built in 1890, 45 feet long using the queen post truss, located one mile north of the main intersection in Plainfield, on US 2.
The Martin Bridge is believed to be the last surviving example of the work of Herman F. Townsend. The forty-five-foot queenpost truss structure stood high on abutments of cut granite and rubble stone laid dry. A cattle gate is hinged at one of the queen posts.
Post processed with an Oil Paint finish.