Part of a window in the beautiful little Saint Mark’s Chapel close to the Altenberger Dom, Germany.
The chapel was consecrated in 1145 or 1147 by Archbishop Arnold of Cologne.
Here the monastery held their services while the first Romanesque convent church was built (1125-1160).
Later it was for the sick and the tramontanes.
John the Evangelist was the son of Zebedee and Salome, and brother of James (Saint James the Greater), another of the Twelve Apostles.
Yochanan – as he most likely was called – was one of Christ’s original twelve apostles; the only one to live into old age; and not martyred for his faith, his traditional tomb is thought to be located at Selçuk, a small town in the vicinity of Ephesus.
He is believed to be the author of the Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, and the Book of Revelation. (Well, the author of Revelation identifies himself as “John” several times, but the author of the Gospel of John never identifies himself directly. And Saint Mark’s name was also John. He was “John, who’s surname was Mark”.)
Originally, he and his brother were fishermen and fished with their father in the Lake of Genesareth. According to the usual and entirely probable explanation they became, however, for a time disciples of John the Baptist, and were called by Christ from the circle of John’s followers, together with Peter and Andrew, to become His disciples.
partly from Wikipedia