The Altar of the Poor Clares in Cologne Cathedral was opened for a high feast day.
It is an altar from the 14th century with 36 paintings and 25 sculptures, as well as the altar of the city patrons created by Stephan Lochner, the master of Cologne.
The winged altarpiece from about 1350/60 was originally located in the Cologne Franciscan church of the Poor Clares and only arrived in the Cathedral after the period of secularization. The altarpiece, consisting in a shrine casket with a protruding centre, is closed by a pair of double wings so that three different splendid views are possible. The painting on the wings was already re-painted around 1400. A restoration of the altar between 1907-1909 resulted in the removal of this later painting on the outer wings.