Early Country Church, Lower Jemseg, New Brunswick, Canada
Nikon Coolpix P100
Jemseg is a Canadian rural community in Queens County, New Brunswick. It is located on the east bank of the Jemseg River along its short run from Grand Lake to the Saint John River. The village briefly served as the Capital of Acadia (1690–91).
As the communities grew, churches and schools were built. Initially itinerant clergy from the Church of England, and a bit later Baptist clergy also travelled from place to place. The Anglican rector of Gagetown at Gagetown began work in 1785 and for several decades performed the rituals of baptism, marriages and burials. By the early 1820s the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel had sent Rev. Abraham Wood to the Grand Lake pastorate, and by the mid-twenties the Baptist Church, the so-called “Canning Church” was serving the Baptists of the area.
The first Baptist church in New Brunswick was organized at Waterborough, Queens County. The Jemseg Baptist Church separated from the Waterborough Church in 1834 or 1835. In 1854 James Trimble became pastor. Church membership increased and a new church was built and dedicated in 1858. This is the Church from 1835.