Saint John the Theologian, Kaneo (Macedonian: Свети Јован Канео) or simply Saint John at Kaneo is a Macedonian Orthodox church situated on Kaneo beach overlooking Lake Ohrid in the city of Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia. The church is attributed to the author of the Gospel of John, John the Theologian. The construction date of the church remains unknown but documents detailing the church property suggests that it was built before the year 1447. Restoration work in 1964 led to the discovery of frescoes in its dome.
The church was built into the shape of a cruciform with a rectangular base. The architect of the church achieved a highly successful combination of Byzantine and Armenian architectural elements.
In 1980, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid were accepted as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Featured in The Mysterious Balkans group on Dec 3rd 2010
Featured in Historic Places on Dec 9th 2010
Featured in Going Coastal on Jan 10th 2011
Featured in Amateur Photographers’ Association on April 11, 2012