Located on the Adriatic Coast, Dubrovnik was founded by refugees from Roman Epidaurum, now Cavtat, in the 7th Century. The city came under Byzantine, Venetian and Hungarian suzerainty . In the 15th and 16th centuries fleet exceeded 500 ships. Much of the Old Town centre dates from the rebuilding that took place after the earthquake of 1667. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Dubrovnik has been restored to its former glory after the seige in the 1990’s by Serb and Montenegrin forces.
The walls and ramparts are 1940m (6363ft) long and reach a height of 25m (82ft) in some parts. those facing inland are up to 6m (20ft) wide and strengthened by and outer wall with ten semi-circular bastiona. Other towers and the Fort of St John defend the section facing the Adriatic Sea and the Old Port. Completing the defences to the east and west of the city are two fortresses, the Revelin and the Lovrijenac.
Featured in “Holiday Sights” group