2353 viewings on 13 May, 2016.
Dedicated to the health professionals.
This tribute details the career of Dr Leslie Sender in the care of the local people in the Sheffield and surrounding district.
Dr Leslie Sender
G.P. to the Kentish Municipality,1946 – 1976
A huge practice for one man and he did the lot.
For over 30 years “Doc” Sender was
. on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
.many specialists rolled into one, even a vet on occasion
. at times dental assistant to his wife, June
. dedicated, skilled, determined and without fuss
. no medical challenge was too great for him to tackle.
. no nurse, no secretary, no appointment
. 2 sessions a day at the Sheffield surgery
. once a week at Railton, once a fortnight at Wilmot
. one weekly surgical session – Latrobe Hosptial
. daily house calls after hours all over the district
. Gowrie Park in 1964 enlarged the practice by 1300.
Dr Les came to us post WW11 from Sydney having served as an AIF Captain in New Guinea where he was awarded MID honours for exceptional services in the field, a trait he carried into civilian life.
At home, 25 High Street, he set up a 5 bed maternity room to use until 1956 when the District Nursing centre was built. Over 800 babies were born during 31 years of service.
Despite the workload “Doc” found time to be part of the community socially. He took his place with many others in providing voluntary labour building the Sheffield Community Swimming Pool
He was a keen sportsman and had a love of horses and dogs.
Over the years his Irish setters, Rusty and Rufus, kept watch over patients in the waiting room.
“The Doc” retired but still doctoring 1977 – 2007
He wasn’t just our doctor he was our friend.
For himself Doc’ had two dreams – a sports car and a racehorse. The E type Jaguar came during the Sheffield days. The horses, of which there were many in Barrington over the years, brought him much pleasure and some success, culminating with his stallion “The Taswegian”
After 7 years he was recalled to the practice and gave a further 3 years in an official capacity, but even in retirement the ’Doc’s’ farm door was always open.
Thanks ‘Doc’ from a grateful community.
Sheffield is known as “The Town of the Murals”, with over fifty large murals throughout the town and an annual painting festival to produce more.