3718 viewings on 7 August, 2016.
The Mole Creek Hotel, a building with 28 rooms, was built in 1907-8 by Edward Charles James on 2.5 acres. However a clause inserted into the title by the previous owner, Henri Reed, stated that “no property owned and sold by Henri Reed could be used for the consumption of liquor until the property had been sold three times with each owner having owned it for 25 years”.
The building was vacant for 12 months then part of it was used as a shop. In 1910 George Lee and his family made it into a guesthouse and named it “Mountain View Guesthouse”.
In 1929 Mr R.P. Furmage started a grocery and hardware store in the building and in 1950 he bought the freehold of the property. He then set about trying to overturn the clause so he could use the building as a hotel. The liquor license was granted inn 1953 and in 2008 the 12th licencees took over.