336 viewings on 23 April, 2016..
In the early 1870"s the original building was a music hall built from timber and bark. During the goldrush it was rebuilt and named the Prince of Wales Opera House. After the goldrush, from 1881, the Gulgong Amateur Dramatic club presented music and drama. In the 20th century it became a cinema called the Roxy and was reconstructed in brick but retained the iron roof. The cinema closed in the 1960’s. Dame Nellie Melba performed in the opera house.
The building was reopened in 1974 when the Gulgong Musical and Dramatic Society was re-established and a community appeal enabled the purchase of the building. They hold several performances a year and Roger Woodward and James Morrison have made regular appearances.
Gulgong has a population of about 2000.